WE DID IT! On Tuesday, the San Jose City Council passed the toughest city ban on single-use plastic and paper bags anywhere in California, or anywhere in the country for that matter! This historic decision sets the stage for future bans throughout the Bay Area and the state. It also lets the plastics industry know their intimidation tactics will not prevent Bay Area jurisdictions from prioritizing the health of our communities, our waterways and San Francisco Bay.
Save The Bay held a press conference on Tuesday prior to the vote along with several members of the San Jose City Council, Californians Against Waste and tons of bag ban supporters across the region. After nearly 35 public comments in support of the ban, the City Council passed the ordinance 10-1 to resounding applause and celebration throughout the Chambers. All in all, it was a great day and a huge victory for the Bay.
Check out the media round-up below.
1. SJ to outlaw plastic supermarket bags in 2012 (ABC 7)
3. San Jose City Council Passes Plastic Bag (KTVU 2)
4. San Jose to outlaw plastic bags at checkouts (NBC 11)
5. San Jose bans plastic bags (SJ Mercury News)
6. San Jose OKs state’s toughest ban on plastic bags (SF Chronicle)
7. Editorial: State should follow San Jose’s lead on plastic bag ban (SJ Mercury News)
8. City passes plastic bag ban (SJ Inside)
10. San Jose Passes Landmark Plastic Bag Ban, Help Your City Go Next (Change.org)
— Amy Ricard, Media Relations Manager